- The drawings from the office of Sir John Soane
- (99) datable to 1800, with inscription dated Jany 19th: 1801 (100) as above and Bank 28th Dec 1800
Drawing 100 is a working drawing for the construction of the passage and the north side of the Bullion Court. Soane's rough sketches are on the drawing, as well as his inscriptions indicating some dimensions and with an instruction ordering that the wall's recess should correspond with the gateway. The offices behind the wall were also constructed around this time, as part of the north-east extension.
Soane had pulled down the old buildings in January 1800 and begun construction. Drawing 99 therefore probably dates from early 1800, when construction began on the offices. Drwaing 100 appears to be a working drawing for the exterior wall of the offices, indicating that they had already been constructed by December 1800.
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).