Explore Collections Explore The Collections
You are here: CollectionsOnline  /  Surveys of the existing Bank, January and April 1803 (3)
top left corner
top right corner
bottom left corner
bottom right corner
image Image 1 for SM (107) 9/2/16 (108) 9/2/17 (109) volume 73/1
image Image 2 for SM (107) 9/2/16 (108) 9/2/17 (109) volume 73/1
image Image 3 for SM (107) 9/2/16 (108) 9/2/17 (109) volume 73/1
  • image Image 1 for SM (107) 9/2/16 (108) 9/2/17 (109) volume 73/1
  • image Image 2 for SM (107) 9/2/16 (108) 9/2/17 (109) volume 73/1
  • image Image 3 for SM (107) 9/2/16 (108) 9/2/17 (109) volume 73/1

Reference number

SM (107) 9/2/16 (108) 9/2/17 (109) volume 73/1

Purpose

Surveys of the existing Bank, January and April 1803 (3)

Aspect

107 Plan and detail of an entrance from the Lobby 108 Plan 109 Plan of the offices directly west of the Cashier's Office and Accountant's Room

Scale

(107-109) bar scale

Inscribed

107 (Soane) 121:10½ by re'meast, St / C.P., St Margaret / Lothbury, Accountant / Drawing Office, A, between letter B & G, X / St B, / 1795, St / C. Parish / 1781, 3 per Cent Consol / Transfer office, 4 per Cent, X / St.B / 1800 (twice), St / C.P / 1800 (twice) and some dimensions given (office hand) plan labelled, (Soane, red pen) some dimensions given 108 Princes Street, Reduced Annuity / Office, Officers / Room, Barracks, Servants / Room, Bed / Room, Court, Engine House, The / Committee / Room, The Deputy / Governor's / Room, Pay Office, The Garden / Court, The Court Room, The / Governor's / Room, The Discount / Office, Store / Keeper's, Store / Keeper, Cash Book,The / Accountants Office, Lobby, The Coffee / Room, Court, The Deputy / Accountant's / Office, The Deputy / Accountant's / Parlor, The / Deputy Accountants / Eating Room, Threadneedle Street, The Paved Court, The Pay Hall, Mr Newland's Office, The Bullion Court, The Secretary's Office, The / Accountants Office, Accountant, Ledger, The Accountants Court, Parlor, The Accountant / General's / Eating Room, Strong Room, Vestibule, The Treasury, The Bullion Office, The Entrance / To the / Bullion Court, The Interior / Office, Lothbury Court, Porters / Lodge, Gateway, Lothbury, Accountant's / General / of the / High Court / of Chancery, Consols Office, The Rotunda, The Three per cent Consols / Dividend Office, The Three per cent Consols / Transfer Office, Vestibule, Court, The Library, Consols Office, Vestibule, The Bank Stock / Office, Court, Saint Bartholomew's Lane, The Bank of England (Bailey) General plan in the year (pencil) 1802 109 Bullion Court, Court, Accountant / General's Office, Coffee Room, Cheque Office, Discount Office, Chancery / Office, Store keepers Offices, Strong Room, Right angle, Cheque / Office, Lobby, Accountants / Drawing Office, Governor's and Deputy Governor's Rooms, Court, Priveys, Court, Princes Street, and dimensions given

Signed and dated

(107) Aprl. 26. 1803 (108) datable to April-May 1803 (109) Jany 8th 1803

Hand

(107) Soane office and Soane (108-109) Soane office

Notes

Drawings 107 to 109 show the Bank prior to the north-west extension. The inscriptions in drawing 107, St B, St C.P. and St Margaret Lothbury, refer to three parishes around the Bank: St Christopher-le-Stocks, St Bartholomew Exchange, and St Margaret, Lothbury. St Christopher's church was purchased through an Act of Parliament in April 1781 and its parish was combined with that of St Margaret Lothbury. The Bank was involved with all three parishes during the stages of its expansion. The Rectors and parish officers were compensated for the decline in population of their parishes, due to the Bank's expansions. The Bank's growth destroyed many houses, forcing residents out and reducing the church's congregations, and salaries. The Lecturer at St Margaret's, for example, was granted 13 guineas per annum in 1792, which increased to 23 guineas in 1796 and £40 in 1805.

Level

Drawing

Digitisation of the Drawings Collection has been made possible through the generosity of the Leon Levy Foundation

If you have any further information about this object, please contact us: drawings@soane.org.uk

Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.

Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).