Just over 4 feet to 1 inch (50 feet = 12 5/16) (drawn scale)
By Gibbs in pen and brown ink, East End, South Side, west End, and within plan, 53 : foot : [internal length], 20 foot [internal width]; and at bottom right, in a C18 hand (Gibbs's?), Wimpole
Signed and dated
Medium and dimensions
Pen and grey ink with grey wash and with pink for the structure in sectional view, over faint pencil under drawing, and with additions in pencil (alternatives for staircases) at bottom right; on single sheet of laid paper, with fold marks and modern backing tissue and canvas tape; 455 x 715
Strasbourg Lily (partially obscured by backing tape)
This design can be associated with Gibbs's request for payment 'several drawings for ye Chapple' on 24 July 1719 and envisages the chapel as a free standing building, lit from windows on the south and north side. The completed chapel was fully incorporated within the east wing of the house and the windows on the north side were omitted. The pencil-sketched plans of a dog-leg stair at the bottom right of the plan indicates how the chapel could be reached from the first-floor apartments. In the completed chapel Thornhill's trompe-l'oeil Corinthian columns replaced Gibbs's solid Ionic pilaster, and the walls above the dado are entirely flat (see Friedman, James Gibbs, pl. VII, facing p. 174). The design shows a low mezzanine floor above the chapel and another floor above this (where the walls break off), with steps going up to this level through the wall thickness at the west end. The implied elevational treatment on the south side of the building, of large windows at raised ground floor windows and square mezzanine windows above, is not recorded in any of the initial designs for remodelling the entrance front of the building of c.1721 (see above, 1 and 2). This is further evidence for the relatively early date of the design in the sequence of Gibbs's proposals for Wimpole between about 1713 and 1721.
Wren Society, XII (1935), pl. 35; T. Friedman, James Gibbs, 1984, pp. 73-75, pl. 57; D. Adshead, Wimpole, 2005, cat. no. 16.
Digitisation of the Drawings Collection has been made possible through the generosity of the Leon Levy Foundation