- The drawings from the office of Sir John Soane
Drawing 46 has the wings roughly drawn in by Soane with added compartments of about 10 feet wide between the original house and the new wings; the eating room is now to be in the new west wing.
Drawing 47 has an eight column porch/loggia that spans most of the existing building and openings are placed on the inside walls of the wings against the old house.
Drawings 48-50 show a front of two storeys and seven bays with a balustraded parapet and a loggia of eight Doric columns. For drawing 48, the columns and windows are aligned over a precisely drawn pencil grid.
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).
Contents of Preliminary designs with wings added to east and west sides, 13-16 September, October 1824 (7)
-  Preliminary design with wings, Plan of the One pair Story, 13 September 1824
-  Preliminary design with wings, Plans of Ground Floor, 15 September 1824
-  Preliminary design with wings, Plan of Ground Floor, Eelevations of doors and windows, 16 September 1824
-  Preliminary design with wings, Plan of Ground Floor with Loggia, 16 September 1824
-  Preliminary design with wings, Elevation North Front with Loggia, 10 October 1824
-  Preliminary design with wings, Elevation North Front with Loggia, 1 October 1824
-  Preliminary design with wings, Perspective from north-west with loggia, October 1824