- Robert and James Adam office drawings
Adam’s first design for the chimneypiece in 1773 (Adam volume 22/55) was unexecuted. It is Etruscan in style and appears to have inspired Adam’s design a year later for the chimneypiece in Lady Derby’s dressing room at 23 Grosvenor Square (SM Adam volume 23/51). The executed chimneypiece in the glass drawing room at Northumberland House follows Adam’s 1774 working drawing exactly (SM Adam volume 18/53). The chimneypiece was removed from Northumberland House prior to demolition in 1874, and survives in the private green drawing room at Syon.
Sir John Soane's collection includes some 30,000 architectural, design and topographical drawings which is a very important resource for scholars worldwide. His was the first architect’s collection to attempt to preserve the best in design for the architectural profession in the future, and it did so by assembling as exemplars surviving drawings by great Renaissance masters and by the leading architects in Britain in the 17th and 18th centuries and his near contemporaries such as Sir William Chambers, Robert Adam and George Dance the Younger. These drawings sit side by side with 9,000 drawings in Soane’s own hand or those of the pupils in his office, covering his early work as a student, his time in Italy and the drawings produced in the course of his architectural practice from 1780 until the 1830s.
Browse (via the vertical menu to the left) and search results for Drawings include a mixture of Concise catalogue records – drawn from an outline list of the collection – and fuller records where drawings have been catalogued in more detail (an ongoing process).
Contents of Design and finished drawing for a pier glass and overmantel mirror frame, and finished drawing and working drawing for the chimneypiece and overmantel mirror frame, 1773-74, SM Adam volumes 20/17-18 and 22/55 executed with alterations, SM Adam volume 18/53 as executed (4)
-  Finished drawing for a pier glass frame for the drawing room, 1773, executed with alterations
-  Design for an overmantel mirror frame for the drawing room, 1773, executed with alterations
-  Finished drawing for a chimneypiece and overmantel mirror frame for the drawing room, 1773, showing an unexecuted scheme for the chimneypiece and the overmantel mirror frame as executed with alterations
-  Working drawing for a chimneypiece for the drawing room, 1774, as executed